In this activity I want you to make a collection of cards about every element in the periodic table. They are 118 elements and you are twenty four, that means that each of you have to make cards about 4 or 5 elements. When we have all the cards we will have the opportunity to build a giant periodic table if we find a good place in the high school for it.
In the link below you have a list with your names and the elements you have to work about.
In order to give all of the cards the same appearance you have four examples in the link below. All of them have information:
- Atomic number (Z): as you could know elements are ordered according to their atomic number.
- Symbol. They are written in a special kind of characters
called “Font-work” (some similar to “Word-art” in MS Office)
- Name in both languages, Spanish and English.
- Atomic mass, in other words, the average mass of the atoms of
- Electron arrangement: the number of electron in each shell
and sub-shell in an atom of the element.
- Physical properties: elements have lots of properties, but I
have only chosen three of them: melting point, boiling point and
- Discovery: Who discovered the element? When was it
- Photograph: Be carefull with this, not any picture is valid.
Get sure that you are using a photo of the element. A photo of a
compound or a mixture that contains the element is not valid. The
best option is a photo of an usual object made entirely of the
element but this in not always easy. Some elements, mainly the ones
with highest atomic number are impossible to get a photo of them
because they are not stable.
- A little piece of information about the element. Four of five
lines explaining why the element is important, useful or
interesting, a property of its that called your attention,...
- All of you must work with the same software oppenoffice, you
can download it here:
- I suggest you download any sample file made by me, make a
copy of it in your computer and make the necessary changes in it.
- Don't change the fonts, this is the only way to get an
homogeneous aspect in all cards.
- Periodic tables usually show different properties of elements
with colours. We will change the colour for the symbol (according to
kind of elements) and the colour of border (according to the
physical state). See the file lista.odt.
The cards must be in my email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 30th of April of 2013. You can email me them before if you want, but there are no reason to do it later, you have plenty of time.
A sample of what I want you to make
List of the elements that every one of you has to work